What are 5 examples when genetics is used in the movie Gattaca?
In addition to readerofbooks list, let me add that the title, Gattaca, applies to genetics. It uses the letters that designate the four nitrogenous bases that make up DNA--adenine, thymine, cytosine and guanine. This was intentionally done. So just the title is kind of part of a genetic code!
Genetics is also used in the more common way of using DNA to track a criminal. Vincent loses an eyelash at a crime scene; he has tried to hide all traces of his true genetic nature, using tissue samples of the disabled (but genetically outstanding) Jerome. But he is almost betrayed by an eyelash--it has apparently come out by the "root", which contains DNA.
Genetics is used in almost every way in Gattaca - what a great movie.
1. Genetics is used whether to have a child or not.
2. Genetics is used to engineer children to be the best of their parents' genes.
3. Genetics is used to admit people into schools and institutions.
4. Genetics is used to determine social ranking in society. Certain jobs are open to people and not others based on genes.
5. Genetics is also used in dating. After all, you would not want to date someone who is genetically inferior!