What 3 preparations had Montresor made in order to carry out his revenge?
As we can tell from the first paragraph, Montresor has been wanting to kill Fortunato for some time. We are not really sure why, and Fortunato does not really seem to know either. But for some reason, Montresor really wants revenge quite badly. Here are three things that he does to prepare to get his revenge:
- He tricks all his servants into leaving the mansion completely empty that night.
- He puts stone and mortar under the bones.
- He has those two staples in the wall and the chains and the locks all ready to go.
Montresor has meticulously planned the time, the place and the method of his revenge well in advance. The following are the preparations which Montresor makes to take his revenge on Fortunato:
1. Time: Montresor decides to take his revenge at "about dusk, one evening during the supreme madness of the carnival season," so that every one in his house especially the servants would have gone out and that he would be able to commit his heinous deed completely unnoticed by anyone. He had cunningly ensured that the servants would not return home that evening by lying to them that he will be returning home only next morning.
2. Place: Montresor chose the innermost crypt in his vaults so that Fortunato's cries would not be heard by anyone. He had also arranged to have the building stones and the mortar ready at hand to wall in Fortunato. When he accompanies Fortunato into the vaults he carries with him the instrument of revenge-the trowel.
3. The Method: All the while "smiling in his face" Montresor flatters and traps Fortunato by exploiting his "weak point" : Fortunato "prided himself on his connoisseurship in wine," and Montresor deceives him by saying that he does not wish to trouble him and that he'd rather seek Luchresi's opinion regarding the quality of the Amontillado that he has bought. At once Fortunato takes the bait and accompanies Montresor into the vaults to prove that he is better than Luchresi. Once inside the vaults, Montresor gets him drunk to slow down his reflexes and then leads him to his death.