Key points by chapter might look something like this:
- Jankin the Minstrel steals Adam's dog Nick.
- Adam and his father Roger set off to find Nick, receiving clues and advice from a stable boy and some travelers on the road.
- At Guildford, Adam gets close enough to Jankin and Nick to catch a glimpse of them, but the thief takes the dog onto a ferry to cross the river, and Adam swims after them.
- Adam can not catch up to Jankin and Nick, and returns to Guildford to find his father.
- Adam learns that his father has left for Farnham, where he thinks Jankin has gone also, and he sets out alone for that town.
- In Farnham, Adam discovers that everyone is going to the fair at Winchester, and is befriended by a merchant, Daun Williams, who offers to take Adam with him to Winchester on horseback.
- Adam and Daun Williams' group are accosted by robbers in the night; Adam escapes, but Daun Williams and his servants are taken captive.
- Adam notifies a nearby village bailiff of the crime, and the bailiff organizes a band to go after the robbers. Daun Williams, his servants, and his goods are recovered, and the bailiff continues on to hunt down the thieves.
- Adam arrives in Winchester with Daun Williams, who immediately begins to set up shop to sell his wares.
- Adam cannot find Roger or Nick, and goes to the shrine at St. Swithin to pray for a miracle.