I was given temporary custody of 4 of my grandchildren by my daughter until she got on her feet. She lives in Maryland; I live in Kansas. My daughter came and said  they found a house they could all be together in, and she was ready to bring them home. A month later child protection is involved because of neglect. Child protection says they did not place the children but that my daughter signed them over volunteerily to avoid jail and putting them in foster care. The person she signed them over to refuses me access to the children (who are now living in Florida). Do I have any rights?

Expert Answers info

Lorna Stowers eNotes educator | Certified Educator

calendarEducator since 2011

write4,625 answers

starTop subjects are Literature, Social Sciences, and History

When child protection services has possession of children (either through courts deeming the parents unfit or through voluntary signing over rights), the courts do everything they can to place the child/children with suitable family members. The father/s of the children will come first. If the father signs over rights (or the father cannot be found), the courts will try and find all other family members. Family members who wish to have custody of the child/children will then undergo...

(The entire section contains 259 words.)

Unlock This Answer Now

check Approved by eNotes Editorial

Ask a Question