Vegetables and fruits hydrate us more than water ?

2 Answers | Add Yours

Top Answer

giorgiana1976's profile pic

giorgiana1976 | College Teacher | (Level 3) Valedictorian

Posted on

After a study, it was found that vegetables and fruit  hydrate the body 2 times better than a glass of water. Fruits and vegetables contain minerals, amino acids, sugar and vitamins necessary for human body. They act as soft drinks that athletes consume them.

In the Faculty of Medicine of City Aberdeen, it has shown that vegetables and fruits have this capacity to hydrate the body better than water and even better than drinks used by athletes.Another study at a University of Naples has shown that fruits like papaya and watermelon contain chemicals as lutein and zeaxanthin, which help to hydrate the body for a  longer period of time.

The best hydrating fruit is considered  watermelon as contains 92% water and the remaining 8% are sugar, rehydration salt, calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium.Also, watermelon contains vitamin C, beta carotene and Lycopene, which protects the body from UV rays.

Cucumber contains 96% water and the remaining 4% are calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium and minerals that moisturizes body 2 times better than water.

To be hydrated  properly, the body must replace the fluid lost with the one that is similar to its natural composition.

versatilekamini's profile pic

versatilekamini | College Teacher | (Level 1) Valedictorian

Posted on

Water rich fruit and vegetables act like a two-in-one meal and drink, providing the mineral salts, natural sugars, amino acids and vitamins that are lost in exercise. The research, carried out at the University of Aberdeen Medical School, found this combination helped hydrate people more effectively than water or even sports drinks.

Watermelon is also rich in Vitamin C , as well as beta carotene and lycopene which will give the body protection from UV light. Due to its 96 per cent water content and mineral balance, a cucumber can produce similar hydration levels to twice the volume of water. University of Naples study found that plant chemicals such as  lutein and zeaxanthin are found in fruit such as watermelon and papaya. They boost hydration even further.

We’ve answered 318,991 questions. We can answer yours, too.

Ask a question