Throughtout this whole text, name 10 things Holden likes. Please provide page numbers as well.
J.D. Salinger's main character, Holden, is certainly an interesting guy. The text is full of every opinion every imagined by him during his AWOL weekend. If, however, one had to list ten things that Holden liked, it would be one of the more difficult tasks because he seems to be disgusted with everything and everyone. Looking more closely, though, there might actually be ten things or people he does like.
1. The presence of girls. "I like to be somewhere at least where you can see a few girls around once in awhile. . ."(3).
2. Selma Thurmer (Headmaster's daughter) "What I liked about her, she didn't give you a lot of horse manure about how great her father was"(3).
3. The red hunting hat. "I swung the old peak way around to the back--very corny, I'll admit, but I liked it that way"(18).
4. Allie's mitt with poetry on it. "I wrote about my brother Allie's baseball mitt"(38). It represents his connection with his brother whom he loved.
5. Phoebe, his sister. "You never saw a little kid so pretty and smart in your whole life"(67).
6. Jane Gallagher--the one that got away and who he is always thinking about. "All of a sudden, on my way out to the lobby, I got old Jane Gallagher on the brain again"(76).
7. Joking around with girls and not joking around. "I think I really like it best when I can kid the pants off a girl when the opportunity arises, but it's a funny thing. The girls I like best are the ones I never feel much like kidding"(79).
8. Mr. Antolini--before he was caught watching Holden sleep. "Mr. Antolini was very nice. He said I could come right over if I wanted to"(174).
9. Sally Hayes--ex-girlfriend. "What I did do, I gave old Sally Hayes a buzz"(105). He takes her out and ends up yelling at her, but she's a good friend to him.
10. Discussing Beowulf and Romeo and Juliet with nuns at breakfast. "I said I enjoyed talking to them a lot, too"(112).