There are six types of shoplifting prevention and detection techniques. Name and briefly describe each, and give your opinion about which shoplifting prevention and detection technique is the most...
There are six types of shoplifting prevention and detection techniques. Name and briefly describe each, and give your opinion about which shoplifting prevention and detection technique is the most effective.
Your question deals with two things: shoplifting detection and shoplifting prevention.
As far as shoplifting detection is concerned, typical shoplifters will do the following:
- They will carry their items around the store, like large bags, boxes, umbrellas or newspapers. You can ask them to leave their things at a specific place in the store, such as at the counter, while they look around.
- They will wear clothes not appropriate during the current season, like baggy clothes or heavy garments like jackets and coats, which will appear very unusual and cause suspicion.
- They will appear to be nervous or act questionably, like walking in an unusual way. You can show them that you are watching them by asking them if they need any assistance.
- They will remain in the store for a long time, just looking around. You can ask them what they need and let them know you are there watching them.
- They will come in groups because one of them will serve as a distraction, while others can steal the goods.
- They will stay at a particular spot in the store, like around the restroom or stairway, waiting for the right moment to steal. They appear indifferent, which is a sign that they are not willing to buy any item.
In relation to the shoplifting prevention techniques, here are the most important ones:
- Do not leave the shop unattended at any time. Shoplifters wait for that moment. So, you must make sure that there is at least one employee working.
- Provide adequate lighting and get rid of blind spots.
- Make sure you take advantage of convex mirrors, CCTV, tags, locks and, if necessary, employ security staff.
- You must limit the number of items that can be taken into the fitting rooms.
- Keep an eye on every customer and greet each of them. In this way, they will know they are being watched.
- Make all your employees attend a shoplifting prevention training, so that they can learn how to deal with shoplifters.
In the end, all shoplifting detection and prevention techniques are equally important. You cannot just rely on one. You must take all the information provided above into consideration in order to know how to spot a shoplifter and how to prevent potential shoplifters.