Some possible topics for debate that reflect debates taking place around the country and the world are the following:
- Should students be allowed to have cell phones at school?
- How do social networking sites affect teenagers?
- Are violent video games permissible for children?
- Should students be required to wear uniforms to school?
- Should the death penalty be allowed in the United States?
When you choose an issue to debate, pick a strong stance and start with an opening that draws in your audience. Do some research on your topic so that you can cite evidence that proves your point. Spend some time thinking about and researching the other side of the issue, and devote some time in your speech to offering counterarguments to the other side. Conclude your speech with a convincing statement, and be sure to make eye contact with your audience and to speak clearly.