ShigellaI want to alert everyone to the importance of washing hands. We had my mother's funeral today. She died from food poisoning because someone at her nursing home did not wash his or her hands...

Shigella

I want to alert everyone to the importance of washing hands. We had my mother's funeral today. She died from food poisoning because someone at her nursing home did not wash his or her hands before preparing food, and she contracted the shigella bacteria. It causes severe diarrhea and destroys the lining of the intestines. That allowed e coli to enter her system as well. Her kidneys failed; her heart failed; and her lungs failed. All because someone didn't wash his hands.

Please make sure you do the right thing.

9 Answers | Add Yours

brettd's profile pic

brettd | High School Teacher | (Level 2) Educator Emeritus

Posted on

My deepest condolences.  Having recently lost a family member myself, I know how painful it is.  Washing hands is so simple, yet so effective, I think we should make it a priority in education and public announcements on a permanent basis.  My very best to your and your family.

accessteacher's profile pic

accessteacher | High School Teacher | (Level 3) Distinguished Educator

Posted on

I wish to echo my sympathy along with my fellow-editors. Is there not an activity we can do in our classes to highlight the importance of washing hands and most of all the importance of washing them properly? When I was teaching adult learners re-entering education, some of them went for interviews to study nursing and they had the chance to wash their hands after placing some kind of UV gel on their hands and then to see how they did after they had washed their hands. The results were really fascinating, as although all of them washed their hands (as they saw it) properly, there was a large amount of this gel still covering their hands because they had not been thorough enough. Is there something like this that we could do with students?

amy-lepore's profile pic

amy-lepore | High School Teacher | (Level 1) Educator Emeritus

Posted on

I am so sorry, Linda.  I know this is a painful time for you, made moreso because someone was negligent in caring for her.  Thank you for being so selfless in warning the rest of us and making us more aware of the dangers in food safety and preparation.  I will continue to pray for you and your family.  Let me know if you need anything.

lrwilliams's profile pic

lrwilliams | College Teacher | (Level 1) Educator

Posted on

It is an awful thing to lose a loved one ion any manner, but to lose someone because of the carelessness of someone else must be even harder. My prayers go out to you and your family.

booksnmore's profile pic

booksnmore | College Teacher | (Level 3) Adjunct Educator

Posted on

Having lost my mother, my heart breaks for you. You have provided valuable, life saving information. Things like this can happen at restaurants too, especially buffets. It is recommended that you make a trip to the buffet, and then go to the restroom and wash your hands before eating. Do this each time you go to the buffet. People bring these dangerous germs into the restaurant and leave them on the serving utensils.

This is why our family also got hepatitis shots. It's one less thing to worry about when eating out, especially if you do much traveling, internationally or closer to home.

linda-allen's profile pic

linda-allen | High School Teacher | (Level 3) Senior Educator

Posted on

Having lost my mother, my heart breaks for you. You have provided valuable, life saving information. Things like this can happen at restaurants too, especially buffets. It is recommended that you make a trip to the buffet, and then go to the restroom and wash your hands before eating. Do this each time you go to the buffet. People bring these dangerous germs into the restaurant and leave them on the serving utensils.

That's an excellent suggestion. I never think about food safety when I go out, but in the light of what happened to my mother, I certainly will be more careful.

ask996's profile pic

ask996 | High School Teacher | (Level 1) Senior Educator

Posted on

Having lost my mother, my heart breaks for you. You have provided valuable, life saving information. Things like this can happen at restaurants too, especially buffets. It is recommended that you make a trip to the buffet, and then go to the restroom and wash your hands before eating. Do this each time you go to the buffet. People bring these dangerous germs into the restaurant and leave them on the serving utensils.

booksnmore's profile pic

booksnmore | College Teacher | (Level 3) Adjunct Educator

Posted on

I am so, so sorry. Thinking of you at this tough time. I would think it would be especially hard to deal with knowing that this didn't have to happen. When the whole swine flu thing was going on I wondered if it would help people to develop better hand washing habits. Obviously not in this case. Hugs to you.

besure77's profile pic

besure77 | Middle School Teacher | (Level 1) Senior Educator

Posted on

I am so sorry about your mother.

I agree that hand washing is very important. There are so many illnesses that are spread because people do not wash their hands or wash them improperly. It's important that schools really emphasize proper hand washing skills as well.

We’ve answered 318,963 questions. We can answer yours, too.

Ask a question