1 Answer | Add Yours
When Jimmy Valentine descends from the "mail-hack" in Elmore, Arkansas, he soon becomes "another man": He successfully opens a shoe store and gains the love of Annabel Adams, the approval of her father, and is eventually able to completely abandon his former life.
Originally, Jimmy has been a safe cracker, but posing as a business man, he is soon Ralph D. Spencer, and rents a room at the Planter's Hotel, asking how the shoe business is in the town of Elmore and if there are any opportunities for open a store. The young clerk responds positively to him, saying that only the dry-goods store and the general stores carry shoes now. The new Ralph D. Spencer goes into action:
- Jimmy, a/k/a Ralph, opens a shoe store and does well.
- Socially he is also successful and makes many friends
- He wins the affections of Annabel Adams, the daughter of the banker
- Jimmy, a/k/a Ralph, wins Mr. Adams's approval.
- Jimmy Valentine successfully opens the safe in which Annabel's niece is trapped.
- Having been caught, he thinks, by Ben Price, Jimmy is surprisingly allowed to go free as Ben pretends that he does not know Jimmy--"Guess you're mistaken, Mr. Spencer....Don't believe I recognize you."
- He is now permanently Ralph Spencer.
We’ve answered 318,991 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question