The length of the rectangle is four times its width. Let the width of the rectangle be x, the length is 4x.
The perimeter of the rectangle is 4x + 4x + x + x = 10*x = 150
=> x = 15
The dimensions of the rectangle are 15 m and 60 m.
WHAT DO WE KNOW
- Plug-in 4l for w in Perimeter formula & P=150 : 150=2(l+4l)
- Simplify/Combine like terms: 150=2(5l)
- Multiply: 150=10l
- Opposite operation for multiplication? (division)-- Divide 10 from both sides to isolate l: `150/10 = (10l)/10`
- Simplify: 15=l, or l=15 m
- Plug-in l=15 & P=150 in the perimeter formula: 150=2(15+w)
- Distribute 2: 150=30+2w
- Subtract 30 from both sides to isolate '2w': 120=2w
- What is the opposite operation for multiplication? (division) -- Divide 2 on both sides to isolate 'w': `120/2 = (2w)/2`
- Simplify: 60=w, or w=60 m
To solve this word problem, use the equation
4x + 4x + x + x = 150 with " x " representing the width
Now combine all the like terms. By combining the like terms, you should get
10x = 150 now divide both sides by 10
By dividing on both sides, you should get
x = 15 which is one if the dimension
Now use 4x to find the length
4 ( 15 ) = 60
So your answer is width is 15 m and length is 60 m .