What are the Five Pillars of Islam?
The Five Pillars of Islam are the things that every person who claims to be a Muslim must do. These Five Pillars are:
- The profession of faith. All Muslims must publicly state that there is not god but God and that Muhammad is the prophet of God. This is part of daily prayer and this public affirmation is a key part of a person’s conversion to Islam.
- Daily prayer. Muslims must pray five times a day.
- Giving of charity. Muslims must give a part of their wealth to charity each year.
- Fasting during Ramadan. Muslims who are physically able must fast during daylight hours during this holy month.
- Pilgrimage to Mecca. All Muslims who can physically and financially do so must go on a pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in their life.
check Approved by eNotes Editorial