I need help with my US history project and it's almost due! I need to write two front pages that talk about politics in the 1960s. Basically, I have to write two separate summaries so that I can...
I need help with my US history project and it's almost due! I need to write two front pages that talk about politics in the 1960s. Basically, I have to write two separate summaries so that I can make two complete front pages for my project. Thank you for your time!
As far as I can tell from your question and assignment, you need 10 events and 5 people who were important in the politics of the United States in the 1960s. Here is a list of events and people that you could use. It is not the only possible list because there were many important events and people, but this is one that should help.
- Sit-ins start at Woolworth’s in Greensboro, N.C. This is a major event in the Civil Rights Movement.
- Bay of Pigs Invasion. This is where the US backed Cuban exiles who were trying to invade the island and overthrow the Castro regime.
- Cuban Missile Crisis.
- Rachel Carson publishes the book Silent Spring, helping to start the environmental movement.
- Betty Friedan publishes the book The Feminine Mystique, helping to start the Women’s Liberation movement.
- President Kennedy is assassinated.
- President Lyndon Johnson announces his desire to build a “Great Society.” Part of this will be a “War on Poverty.”
- Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Voting Rights Act of 1965 are passed.
- Demonstrations and police violence at the Democratic Party’s national convention in Chicago in 1968.
- Race riots break out at various times in the 1960s. There were riots in 1965 and again after Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed in 1968.
- John F. Kennedy
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- Richard Nixon
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Betty Friedan
The first three were the three men who were president for most of the 1960s. King, of course, was the main leader of the Civil Rights Movement. Betty Friedan helped to start the Women’s Liberation movement, which was another very important trend in the 1960s.