Please tell me some key events of Juan Peron and Eva Peron.
rrteacher | Certified Educator
Some key events in the political lives of the Perons are as follows:
- Juan Peron joins the 1930 military coup against Argentinian president Hipólito Yrigoyen. He gains a position in the army as a result
- In 1939 to 1940, Peron visits Italy and other countries in Europe, and becomes convinced that some sort of fascism is best suited to modern life.
- In 1943, Peron assisted in the overthrow of President Ramon Castillo. One year later, he would become Vice-President under Edelmiro Farrell, holding that position as well as that of Secretary of Labor and Secretariat of Labor and Social Welfare.
- In 1944, Peron married Eva, in part to put an end to popular criticism of their open relationship.
- In October of 1945, Peron was imprisoned by an anti-Peronist faction. His release was secured by popular demonstrations in his support.
- Peron was elected President in 1946. As President, he instituted reforms that were supposed to assist Argentinian industry, as well as social welfare reforms. Eva became the head of a welfare organization and was very popular among the working class, though not by Peron's supporters in government.
- Eva ran for vice-president in 1951, but was forced to withdraw by the military. She died in 1952.
- On June 16, 1952, a faction of politicians unsuccessfully attempted to overthrow Peron. They failed, but another attempt, which had the broader support of the military, was successful, and Peron went into exile.
- In 1973, Peron returned to the presidency, with his third wife as vice-president. He died shortly after taking office in 1974