If a person wanted to gain a perspective on how various countries, such as Russia, China, etc. have viewed, and do view, the present and past policies and practices of the US government in order to...
If a person wanted to gain a perspective on how various countries, such as Russia, China, etc. have viewed, and do view, the present and past policies and practices of the US government in order to be able to compare and contrast those “foreign” views with the views expressed in US “domestic” publications, then what specific books, newspapers, periodicals, etc. , published in English, should a person read to be able to best accomplish the objective of looking at US policies and practices from a variety of different perspectives?
Here are some ideas to get you started. Most of these are freely available over the Internet, but some are books that require a hefty financial commitment.
I would definitely recommend asking a librarian at a good library (like a college or university) for some ideas.
1. The following article details a number of perspectives on recent Russian foreign policy, including its relations with the United States. It also mentions several other books and sources of information.
2. “The Diplomat” is an online magazine specializing in Asia-Pacific affairs. The article below specifically deals with how Russia and China perceive the US military. You can find other articles about Chinese and Russian international relations by typing “Russian [or Chinese] International Relations” into the search box.
3. Politico Magazine publishes articles on a variety of political topics. The url below will take you to a specific article entitled “Why Russia No Longer Fears the West.” It discusses that Russia, under Vladimir Putin, has become emboldened to act in ways that the West disapproves. It also specifically looks at how the Russian leaders now perceive the United States. Use the search link to search for other articles on the site.
4. This article is from the online magazine “Foreign Affairs.” It deals specifically with the Chinese government’s view of America. You can also use the search box for this website. When I typed in “Chinese US Relations” a number of articles and essays popped up.
5.The next website is Russian, so the viewpoint should be a lot different than what we see in the United States:
6. Compared to free online information, books seem quite expensive, but there are some out there. Here a links to a couple: