How can I create a headline story, like in a newspaper, based on the novel To Kill a Mockingbird from a character's perspective?
The first thing you need to do is to decide on a character from the novel who you think you can write a news story from their perspective. Which characters could you relate to the most as you read the novel? Did you identify with Scout, Jem, Tom Robinson, Boo Radley?
Next, choose the most exciting or dramatic event involving that character. Here is a list of some possibilities:
- Scout seeing Boo Radley for the first time. (Maybe she can interview him!)
- Jem fighting with Bob Ewell.
- Dill’s perspective of the trial.
- Tom Robinson’s perspective about going to jail for a crime he didn’t commit.
- Atticus’ view of the trial, and why they didn’t win.
- Boo Radley’s perspective on what kept him a recluse and how he saved the children from Bob Ewell.
- Calpurnia’s perspective on the trial or life in Maycomb as a black woman. Perhaps she would write an article about how Atticus kills the rabid dog.
- Miss Maudie and her house burning down.
- An article on the lynch mob from Scout, Jem, or Atticus’ perspective.
There are numerous ways to go with this topic. Come up with a great, exciting headline, and answer the who, what, when, where, and how found in all newspaper articles. Make sure you add enough details!