I need to write an essay on music with 3 supports to my thesis.I need to write an essay on music with 3 supports to my thesis.
clairewait | Certified Educator
Based on your age/grade and the very broad topic of "music" for this essay, I am going to make the following suggestions. Be sure to follow all directions from your teacher first, and then see how this advice fits your assignment.
- Create an open-ended question revolving around the subject of music. If you are allowed to use personal stories (in 9th grade, I assume they are encouraged), make it a personal question. Examples might include: How does music affect your life? What kind of music defines your personality? How has music been a positive thing for teenagers? How can music be a negative thing for teenagers?
- Pre-write by brainstorming as many answers as possible to this question. Feel free to write hypothetical ideas as well as personal experiences or observations. This allows you to put down every possible idea in your head and then some.
- Categorize your ideas into three logical groups. If these groups do not have a label, give them one, as these will become your three topic sentences. Examples might include: Music positively affects teenagers mentally, emotionally, and physically.
- Answer your open-ended question (from step 1) in a complete sentence that includes your three categories (from step 3). This will be your thesis statement.
- Make sure you have 1 or 2 specific examples that illustrate each topic sentence. With a full explanation of your example(s), you should be able to cover the meat of your paragraphs. Add an intro and conclusion and you are finished.
litteacher8 | Certified Educator
You can go so many places with this topic. You can write about the benefits of playing or listening to music, for example. You also might want to talk about the variety of music available. Music can also be used in therapy, for sick or stressed people.