It would help to know what the seminar is about or what kind of topics you're covering, but here is an array of questions relating to organized crime that might get your mind going:
1) What were the factors that led to the development of organized crime in a particular area? e.g. Sicily, Tokyo, New York, California, etc.
2) How has organized crime altered the economy in that area? What has been the negative impact? Has there been any positive impact?
3) How do or did members of a crime organization interact with local and national politics?
4) What is the interaction of social demographic factors with organized crime like? e.g. gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality, age, religion
5) How have crime organizations used technology? For example, the crime family on The Wire used pages and pay phones to communicate, then moved to text messaging after their pagers were tapped. What are some real-world examples of this interaction?
6) Alternatively, what can you say or write about fictional crime organizations and their relationship to any of the above questions, or to real crime organizations? Has The Sopranos or The Godfather had an impact on the Mafia? etc.
7) There's a certain stereotype that crime organizations tend to operate under their own code of ethics. Are there real-world examples of this happening? Are some crime organizations more "ethical" than others?