I need some good points for reforming the Senate. Can someone give me 1 example with examples please.I need some good points for reforming the Senate. Can someone give me 1 example with examples...

I need some good points for reforming the Senate. Can someone give me 1 example with examples please.

I need some good points for reforming the Senate. Can someone give me 1 example with examples please.

Asked on by imnumber1

3 Answers | Add Yours

litteacher8's profile pic

litteacher8 | High School Teacher | (Level 3) Distinguished Educator

Posted on

The senators are very powerful because there are so few of them. I was going to suggest the same things as the poster above, but as another suggestion we could increase the number of senators. Not having 100 would definitely change the nature of the senate.
brettd's profile pic

brettd | High School Teacher | (Level 2) Educator Emeritus

Posted on

Some argue that shortening a Senator's term from six years down to four would give more accountability to voters, and make more democratic sense.  No other elected office is six years, and the Senate was loosely based on the British House of Lords, a rank of privilege for royalty.  Six years seems rather like a number just picked out of the air.

If a Senator is elected just three times, they serve for almost two decades, while a person in the House of Representatives would have to be elected nine times to serve the same length.  I can't think of a single reason why that is fair or democratic.

pohnpei397's profile pic

pohnpei397 | College Teacher | (Level 3) Distinguished Educator

Posted on

The most common idea I have heard for reforming the Senate (assuming you are talking about the US Senate) is to do away with the filibuster.

The filibuster is something that is unique to the Senate.  Basically, if you can't get 60 of the 100 senators to vote with you, you cannot get things passed.  That is because 41 senators can vote to prevent a bill from coming to a vote.

People often say that doing away with the filibuster would make the Senate more democratic.  As it is, 41% of the senators can block the other 59% from getting their way.  This does not seem fair to many people.

We’ve answered 318,930 questions. We can answer yours, too.

Ask a question