I need to redo a section on comparing/contrast symbols on my essay on A Rose for Emily and A Good Man is Hard to Find.This is what I have so far. Some of the symbols are the same in both stories....
I need to redo a section on comparing/contrast symbols on my essay on A Rose for Emily and A Good Man is Hard to Find.
This is what I have so far.
Some of the symbols are the same in both stories. The struggle between the past and the future threatens to rip the present to pieces. In death, all the main characters pass away. Some of the symbols are different in both stories. The location where each died and how they died. In one story, the house was an important symbol and in the other story, “The Misfit was the other important symbol” (O’Connor, 1955).
You can do several things to revise this paragraph in your essay.
- Your topic sentence (first sentence in the graph, in your case) deals with symbols that are the same, but that's not what you deal with in the graph, at least not exclusively. Give evidence to support your topic sentence, then begin a new paragraph. Cover one idea, then move on to another idea by starting a new paragraph. As it's written, your graph lacks unity. You jump around way too much.
- The symbols are not the "same," so much as they are "similar." Be as precise as possible when you choose words.
- You mention that the characters die. Are you suggesting that death is a symbol? If so, name it as a symbol, then support your argument.
- Check your quote. Does O'Connor say that sentence or is it implied? Also, a small thing: you don't need a comma within your in-text reference, just a single space between the name and the page number. Also, if the reader is already aware of which work you're referring to, you don't even need the name.
- You must support your ideas before you move on to the next idea. You do not at all support your contention that some of the symbols are the same before you move on to the contention that some of the symbols are different. You must prove your statements to be true.
The above should help you to revise this paragraph in your essay.