I need at least 6-7 facts of Britain in the 1930s during World War 2 to finish my homework.
There is not much time that is both part of the 1930s and related to WWII. WWII started for the United Kingdom in September of 1939. This means that most of the facts about Britain in the 1930s would not really be very connected to WWII. Let us look at a few facts that are related to WWII.
- In May of 1938, well before the war started, a committee was formed to figure out how to evacuate children and some adults from cities so as to protect them from air raids.
- In June of 1939, the British government instituted a draft. It was the first time that they ever had a draft in time of peace.
- On September 3, 1939, Britain declares war on Germany.
- On September 23, 1939, the government institutes rationing of gasoline.
- The prime minister of the UK at the start of WWII was Neville Chamberlain.
- Winston Churchill was not yet prime minister. He was assigned to be First Lord of the Admiralty in Chamberlain’s first war cabinet.