1 Answer | Add Yours
In an essay, a "hook" helps to ensure a flow and to create interest in the essay itself. The introductory paragraph is essential in ensuring that readers want to continue reading. A hook captures the attention and imagination of readers. There are a few important steps to consider in writing your hook such as:
1. Who are you writing the essay for?
2. How can you make your essay more interesting and inspiring than the many others that the educator will be reading and marking?
3. How can you show your understanding of the material? In this question, what is important is the contribution that the minor characters make to the development of the plot of Othello.
4. How can you ensure that the hook is relevant to the rest of your essay. Therefore, consider what purpose the hook sentence will serve.
In Othello, minor characters include Roderigo, Cassio and Emilia. Each of them plays a vital role in the plot development from the beginning to the end. Suitable hook sentences may be:
1. Roderigo, Cassio and Emilia may seem like unlikely accomplices but they all play straight into Iago's welcoming hands and scheming ways and together create a situation so believable as to provide Othello with "ocular proof" of Desdemona's infidelity.
2. Underestimating Iago's treachery will cost the characters of Othello dearly as the actions of the minor characters contribute to the way the story develops and the plot unfolds, leading Othello to doubt the very essence of his beautiful Desdemona.
3. It is the unwitting but collective efforts of the minor characters in Othello that will see matters spiraling out of control because Roderigo will misinterpret Iago's intentions, Cassio will be influenced by Iago and compelled to act out of character and Emilia will be tricked by Iago, ensuring the final link in sealing Desdemona's fate.
We’ve answered 318,929 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question