1 Answer | Add Yours
Scars, both psychological and physical, is a recurring motif in The Kite Runner. Here are 15 examples:
- The harelip that mars Hassan's smiling face is mentioned often.
- Hassan, like many other characters, endures mental scars; his come from the attack and rape by Assef.
- The physical scars that can be found on Hassan's father, Ali.
- Baba has a huge scar on his back (possibly from fighting a black bear).
- Amir has many emotional scars, primarily from his betrayal of Hassan.
- Amir later receives numerous scars from his beating by Assef.
- Sohrab has many mental scars from his treatment at the hands of the Taliban.
- Sohrab retains the physical scars following his suicide attempt.
- Soraya has mental scars from her past, primarily from her love affair that went awry back in Virginia.
- Kabul--and all of Afghanistan--is scarred by the long warring at the hands of the Russians and, later, the Taliban.
- Farid, Amir's driver during his return to Afghanistan, has scars from wounds received fighting with the Northern Alliance.
- Sanaubar, Hassan's mother, returns after a long absence with horrible scars on her face.
- Kamal, one of Assef's companions during their attack on Hassan, suffers psychological scars after he, too, is sexually attacked by Russian soldiers.
- Khanum Taheri, the general's wife, suffers a stroke and a resulting speech disability after her daughter runs away.
- Farzana, Hassan's wife, is murdered by the Taliban.
We’ve answered 319,840 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question