The first and last names are all mismatched. & none of the descriptions matched either the first & last name it is listed with. Do you think you can fix this?: A math thinking problem.
The police dept. arrested 4 susptects---2 men & 2 women --- on suspicion of petty theft. The seargent on duty who processed the suspects was having a bit of a bad day. He produced this list of suspects and descriptions.
Robin Wilde: scar on the left cheek
Cary Steele: purple hair
Pat Fleece:tall & blonde
Connie Theeves: birthmark on left wrist
When the list landed on the arresting detective's desk, he was furious, He went to the seargent and said, "Paul, you might be having a bad day, but this list in full of mistakes. The first and last names are all mismatched. & none of the descriptions matched either the first & last name it is listed with. Do you think you can fix this?"
The seargent replied "Sorry, Dick. I am having a bad day. But I think I need a little bit more information."
The detective answered, "Okay, Paul. Here's some info. Conie has purple hair to match her purple high tops. The men are Steele and Fleece. A woman has a scar. Do you think you can straighten this mess now?"
The seargent now determined the first name and last names of each suspect, as well as their descriptions. You work it out, too.
1 Answer | Add Yours
It is given that all the names and descriptions are mismatched. So we will write what are the possibilities for each description.
1)Robin Wilde: scar on the left cheek
- scar is in a woman face.
- Robin can be a man or a woman without scar.
- Wilde can be a man or a woman without scar.
2)Cary Steele: purple hair
- carry is a man or a woman not having purple hair
- steele is a man (this is given)
3)Pat Fleece:tall & blonde
- pat is a man or woman that is not tall or blonde.
- fleece is a man (this is given)
4)Connie Theeves: birthmark on left wrist
5)Conie has purple hair to match her purple high tops.
- connie is a woman.
A woman has a scar
- Robin is a man or a woman without scar
- Wilde is a man or a woman without scar
- From 3) connie has no 'pat' term in her name.
- From 4) 'theeves' is not a part of her name
- Then She can be connie robin or connie wilder
- Since all are mismatched connie is her last name.
- Then wilde should be her first name
- So one woman's name is Wilde Connie
- From 1) Robin is a man because woman without scar is Wilde Connie.
- In 3) it describes about woman.
- steel and Pat are parts of men names
- Pat Steel cannot be in same man's name
- Names are mismatched, then fleece is the first name
- Then Fleece Pat is a man.
- Whats left is Robin, Carry, Theeves and steele
- Steele is a part of man's name.
- Since Wilde Connie is the woman without scar Robin is a man
- Steele is also a part in man's name
- Names are mismatched
- Steele Robin is another man
- Whats left is carry theeves a woman
- Names are mismatched. Theeves is first name and Carry is last name
- So the other woman is Theeves Carry.
So the prisoners with their names and description is as follows
Wilde Connie-woman-purple hair,tall and blonde
Theeves Carry-woman-scar on the left cheek
I think the data is not sufficient to find the descriptions of the men.
We’ve answered 318,967 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question