1. The backdrop of war. There is a constant threat of war with the Turks.
2. Cassio and Othello used to be fast friends and it was Cassio who helped Othello woo Desdemona.
3. Desdemona eloped with Othello against her father's wishes. She has disobeyed him. The father's rule was the law i n those days.
4. Iago is two faced and exploits the weaknesses of others. He shows honesty to most people, but is really the most nihilistic villain ever.
5. Desdemona is one of the purest, most altruistic women of Shakespeare. She deserves heaven and is given hell instead.
6. The setting is beautiful and exotic. It is tragic that the play ends up spoiling this backdrop with a stage soaked in blood.
7. Friendship and trust are other casualties in the play.