Here are some famous names from the American Civil War:
- General Ulysses S. Grant: Commanding general of the Union armies.
- General William T. Sherman: Army commander, famed for his policy of "total war" during the Atlanta campaign and his "March to the Sea."
- General Phil Sheridan: Army commander
- General George Thomas: Army commander who earned the nickname "Rock of Chickamauga" for heroic stand following the Union defeat at the Battle of Chickamauga.
- General George McClellan: Army commander who was unsuccessful in stopping Confederate General Robert E. Lee. Later ran unsuccessfully for President.
- General Robert E. Lee: General-in-Chief of Confederate armies. His Army of Northern Virginia won many battles against superior Union numbers before his surrender in 1865. Considered one of the greatest battlefield commanders and tacticians in all history.
- General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson: Corps commander under Lee. Outnumbered nearly 3-to-1, his surprise attack at the Battle of Chancellorsville routed the Union army, but Jackson was mortally wounded later that night from friendly fire. His Shenandoah Valley Campaign, in which he won a succession of battles against far larger armies, is considered one of the greatest accomplishments in military history.
- General James Longstreet: Lee's top corps commander, he was an early proponent of defensive strategies such as trench warfare.
- General J. E. B. Stuart: Lee's cavalry commander, whose troops dominated the Union cavalry for the first three years of the war.
- General Nathan Bedford Forrest: Daring cavalry commander who personally killed 30 men in combat while having 29 horses shot out from under him. Reputedly was the first Grand Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.
George Washington- America's first president and leader of our military forces in the Revolutionary War. Thomas Jefferson- writer of the Declaration of Independence and president of the United States. James Madison- one of the writers of the Federalist Papers. Thomas Paine- writer of Common Sense, a revolutionary document.
I'll list some American inventors:
Samuel Morse- telegraph
Eli Whitney- Cotton gin
Cyrus McCormick- mechanical reaper
Thomas Edison- a longlasting electric light bulb, phonograph, DC current generator, motion pictures
Benjamin Franklin- bifocals, the lightning rod
Alexander Graham Bell- telephone
How about villains in history?
- John Wilkes Booth killed Abraham Lincoln.
- James Earl Ray killed Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Pol Pot was the leader of the Khmer Rouge who killed millions in Cambodia.
- Joseph Stalin ruled the Soviet Union and carried out purges and other policies that led to the deaths of millions as well.
I'll list five off the top of my mind;
- William Shakespeare - composed a collection of famous plays and sonnets.
- Jane Austen - composed the famous novels 'Emma' and 'Pride and Prejudice'.
- Charlotte Bronte - composed 'Jane Eyre'.
- Jack London - wrote 'Call of the Wild'.
- Mark Twain - composed 'Huckleberry Finn'.