What are some rules for fighting fair in a marriage?
There are a number of possible rules for “fighting fair.” Some of the most important include:
- Give your partner the information they need. Do not expect your spouse to figure out why you are mad.
- Fight about the real issues. Fights often occur over seemingly trivial issues when there are other, deeper problems that are actually causing the fights. Address the root causes.
- Do not bring up other fights or other shortcomings during a given fight. In other words, if you are talking about one issue, do not suddenly bring in another issue out of the blue.
- Do not call your partner names.
- Discuss the issues rather than simply attacking your partner.
check Approved by eNotes Editorial