Your friend recently asked you to deliver an item of value to a relative. Unfortunately this item was lost during the journey. You need to explain this in a letter to your friend. Write your letter.
You must include the following:
• when and how the item was lost
• your attempt to find it
• an offer to replace or pay for the item.
(I need what and how should I write this letter as I am weak in this area.)
While writing social notes and friendly letters seems to be a dying art, the practice of letter writing holds much that is laudatory as it is something permanent for people to keep; in addition, studies have shown that when someone writes a letter by hand to another person, there is more of the personality and emotion of the individual that comes through. Certainly there is much of the person's soul conveyed through his/her handwriting.
Now, regarding the letter to a friend in which you must inform him/her that you have lost a precious item, the best thing to do is be as frank and sincere as possible. This letter should be to the point, also, without extraneous details because if you write about other things, the friend may question your regret about having lost the item.
There are 5 parts to a friendly letter:
- The heading, which is your own street address with city, state, and zip code. This goes in the upper right hand corner
- The salutation, or greeting which is placed a couple of spaces below, but on the left-hand side of the page.
- The body of the letter, which contains your message.
- The closing which is placed in the lower right-hand section beneath the body. It always begins with a capitalized word, but the other words are not capitalized. This closing is followed by a comma. Depending on to whom you are writing, this closing can be slightly formal, casual, or affectionate.
- The signature, which is lined up with and directly beneath the closing.
Here is a brief example of the letter you need.
As you know, I was on my way to your aunt's (or whatever relative) house to deliver the ----(name the object) with which you entrusted me. However, I have some unfortunate news about this errand: while I was carrying it --------------(tell your friend what happened such as someone stole the bag you had it in and report your efforts to retrieve it, either by searching, chasing after someone, reporting it to the police, etc.).
I cannot tell you how upset I am that this happened. Here you trusted me, and I have failed you. But I did get a call from the police to tell me that they are following a lead. They said --------------(add details). Still, I am making plans to replace this -----------on my own as it is entirely my fault that it is gone. Please know that I will contact you immediately if the item is retrieved as the police tell me that often such things show up at pawn shops. Again, let me express my sincere regret about this unfortunate incident.
(Below see the link to a template that will assist you.)