What were some key moments in the Cold War from the immediate aftermath of WWII up to the Cuban Missile Crisis?
pohnpei397 | Certified Educator
There are many things that could be identified as key moments during this time. Some of the most important include:
- The Marshall Plan
- The Truman Doctrine
- Churchill's "Iron Curtain" speech
- The Soviet Union's development of an atomic bomb
- The communist victory in the Chinese Civil War
- The Korean War
- The Berlin blockade and the Berlin Airlift
- The building of the Berlin Wall
- The uprising in Hungary and the Soviet crushing of that uprising
- The creation of NATO and the Warsaw Pact
- The overthrows of Mossadegh in Iran and Arbenz in Guatemala
- The French defeat in Vietnam and the beginnings of a US presence there
These are only a few of the many possible key moments from the early stages of the Cold War.