I've been giving the daunting task of writing a research paper on police corruption but I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?no
You didn't give us any idea of how long a research paper you need to write and whether there are other criteria you need to follow. You may want to ask your professor for guidelines as there are a number of ways you could break down your task.
For example, you could research:
- how far back this issue goes in society;
- worldwide, national, or local focus on police corruption;
- whether rural or urban settings seem to have greater differences in the amount or type of corruption;
- if age, gender, or other factors seem to have higher or lower levels of corruption;
- the various types of corruption, breaking it down into severity (just as there are misdemeanors and felonies, are there differences in the type of corruption);
- the organizations and individuals who are working to fight such corruption.
These few examples should get you started in the right direction.
I would start by trying to find cases where police corruption has been proven. If you can research anywhere in the country, it should be pretty easy to find cases. I know there have been police corruption cases in New York City, for example.
Beyond that, it sort of depends on your actual topic. Have you been given questions you need to answer? To me, what you would want to start looking at is what factors you can identify that cause police corruption. So I would find a case of corruption and read what I could to try to find out
- Why the individual officers became corrupt
- Why they were not caught earlier
- What impact their corruption had
I hope that helps, let us know when you have more info if you need more help.