What is a good essay question for Interview with the Vampire?
huntress | Certified Educator
Interview With a Vampire, by Anne Rice, is the first novel of a series--not an essay. Having said that, there are a number of questions we could ask about it:
- How does Rice's vampire mythology differ from traditional vampire myth? (For example, Dracula and the medieval tales of people being buried alive and repelled by crosses and garlic, etc.)
- To what extent do her Catholic beliefs influence the narrative?
- Do you find the vampires sympathetic characters? Why or why not?
- If you do find them sympathetic--the story is told from the first person of Louie, after all, so it's difficult to not identify with him--what is your reaction to this? They are, after all, evil creatures (by definition).
- What are you opinions of Lestat at this point? Lestat will become a more dynamic character in the second novel, so your reaction to him as a creature of the night (a perhaps likeable one) may alter as you read.
- What are your thoughts on Lestat transforming a child into a vampire to be a companion? Is this beyond the pale?