What impact did Alexander Hamilton have on US history?
gsenviro | Student
Alexander Hamilton, considered a key founder of a strong federal government, influenced American history by the following acts:
- Founder of American financial system (funding of state's debt by federal government, system of tariffs, created a US mint, created a tax collection bureau that later became US Coast Guard, etc.)
- One of the prominent supporters and interpreters of the American constitution (wrote 51 of 85 installments of the Federalist Papers, the single most important reference for constitutional interpretation.)
- Founder of the Federal party, which was the world's first voter-based political party
- Primary author of economic policies during George Washington's administration
- Established a national bank (Bank of the United States)
- promoted friendly ties with Britain and neutrality towards France
- Supported Jefferson's election as the President even though they had philosophical differences.
- His reports on Manufactures promoted the commercial and industrial growth of a newly independent country.