A quiz on The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt would be indeed a very entertaining and worthwhile activity. Here are some suggestions for questions and their answers.
- How many of the chapters are named after calendar months and which months are they?
Answer: Ten. September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June.
- What is the name of Holling’s school?
Answer: Camillo Junior High School.
- Why do the students think that Mrs. Baker is cold?
Answer: Because she doesn’t like holiday decorations in her classroom. She also doesn’t actively encourage student motivation through the use of rewards as much as other teachers.
- Why does Holling think Mrs. Baker doesn’t like him?
Answer: Because he is the only Presbyterian student and Mrs. Baker makes him do many chores.
- Name the first two Shakespeare plays that Holling is encountering in the novel
Answer: The Tempest and The Merchant of Venice
- What is the name of the sweet treat that plays a role in the novel?
Answer: Cream puff
- Whose signature is Holling trying to get and which team does this person play for?
Answer: The signature of Mickey Mantle, who plays for the Yankees
- What does Mrs. Baker’s husband do?
Answer: He is fighting in Vietnam
- Name the politician, whose assassination is mentioned in the book
Answer: Robert (“Bobby”) Kennedy