Identify the speaker, plot and significance of the following quotes, from "The Rocking-Horse Winner" and "The Gift of the Magi".
1. The heard it at Christmas when the expensive and splendid toys filled the nursery.( The Rocking Horse Winner)
2. The little girls dared not speak to him......." ( The Rocking Horse Winner)
5. "On went her old brown hat... and with the brilliant sparkle still in her eyes, she cluttered... down the stairs to the street. ( The Gift of Magi)
1 Answer | Add Yours
1. This quote is referring to the voices in the house that whisper "there must be more money," and symbolizes the parents' constant desire to have more wealth. The speaker is the narrator of the story (a third-person omniscient narrator).
2. This is referring to when Paul is feverishly riding on his horse. He is so fixated and determined, and even a bit frightening, so his sisters don't like to talk to him while he is riding. The speaker, again, is the narrator.
5. This is referring to when Della has gotten the idea to sell her hair, in order to get money to buy a watch chain for her husband Jim for Christmas. The speaker is the narrator, a third-person narrator again. She is excited to do something for Jim, because she loves him very much.
I haven't read "The Most Dangerous Game," so I can't help you with those quotes. Good luck.
We’ve answered 319,180 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question