First, you need to be more specific. Which book do you need to discuss? What is the question you need to answer on the chapter? Is it about plot, character, setting, conflict, theme, symbolism, all of the foregoing?
Let us assume you are being asked to comment, generally on the chapter.
- Who is/are the main character/s?
- What is going on (action) in the chapter?
- Where does the action take place?
- Is there a specific theme in the chapter? For example, in Alice Walker's "The Color Purple", one recurring theme is courage.
- What is the conflict either between the main character and another character, or within the main character?
- Where does the chapter take place?
- What symbols are used? An example of this is Jonathan Lethem's "Motherless Brooklyn" where the main character's Tourette's Syndrome becomes symbolic of the noise and chatter of the city.
- How is descriptive language used? Metaphor and simile, for example, are language devices that make the chapter become three-dimensional and vivid.
Remember, to write effectively about the chapter, you have to enjoy reading it! Pick something that resonates with you, that is memorable, and that you are likely to tell your friends "You have to read this!"