There are many ways a politician could segment that “market” of all eligible voters. For example, they could segment it by
- Age. Older voters are more likely to vote and tend to respond to appeals based on things such as Medicare and Social Security.
- Ethnicity. Non-white voters are much less likely to vote Republican.
- Sex. Men, particularly white men, are much more likely to vote Republican.
- Religion. Religious people are more likely to vote Republican than Democrat.
- Income levels. In general, richer people are more likely to vote Republican. However, this does depend to some degree on what profession they are in.
All of these would be good lines along which to segment the voting population.