How do you change a mixed number into an improper fraction?

Expert Answers

An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles

How u change a mixed number into a improper fraction? 

A mixed number has three components:  A coefficient, a numerator, and denominator.

Let's say we have two and one fourth.` `

2 1/4

2 is the coefficient, 1 is the numerator, and 4 is the denominator.

The denominator remains the same for an improper fraction.   

To get the numerator, we will multiply the denominator with the coefficient, and then add the denominator.

4*2 + 1 = 8+1 = 9

Therefore, 2 1/4 is the same as 9/4 as an improper fraction.

Approved by eNotes Editorial Team
An illustration of the letter 'A' in a speech bubbles

A mixed number consists of an integer part and a fraction. In fact the mixed number can be seen as the sum of the integer part plus the fractional part.

For example, the mixed number 3 (1/5), can be expressed as:

3 (1/5) = 3 + (1/5)

If we solve the operation as a sum of fractions, we have:

3 + (1/5) = (3/1) + (1/5) = (15 + 1)/5 = 16/5

So that:

3 (1/5) = 16/5

A faster way is to multiply the denominator of the fraction by the integer and then add the numerator; the result is the new numerator and denominator is retained; The procedure is as follows:

3 (1/5) = [(5*3) + 1]/5 = 16/5

Approved by eNotes Editorial Team

We’ll help your grades soar

Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.

  • 30,000+ book summaries
  • 20% study tools discount
  • Ad-free content
  • PDF downloads
  • 300,000+ answers
  • 5-star customer support
Start your 48-Hour Free Trial