There are 208 bones in the adult human body. We are born with more but these extra bones fuse together during childhood. Some sources will say that we have a slightly different number of bones in the body but this fluctuation is because of different counting methods that are used.
Here is a breakdown:
- The skull contains of 28 bones which consist of cranial, facial, and ear bones.
- There is one bone in the neck.
- There are 26 vertebrae which consist of cervical, thorax, lumbar, and the sacrum and the coccyx.
- There are a total of 30 bones in each of our arms and legs.
- The hips have 2 bones.
- The pectoral girdle has 4 bones.
- There are 24 vertebral ribs, plus the sternum (3).