There are different methods in writing a formal laboratory report which contains the following:
- Title of the Experiment
Summary of the experimentation
- Theoretical background
- Experimental Design and Procedure
Applying this on a particular topic such as the effects of Osmosis on the living cells, the pattern can be drafted as:
- Osmosis on Living Cells
- Introduction - should contain the goals of the experiment such as what are we expecting to see in the cells when concentration/s of the surrounding environment changes. It should also contain a brief summary of what the researchers did in the entire experiment.
- Theoretical background - there should be a brief research about the experiment. It should be concise and the reference be cited accordingly.
- The experimental design and procedure - this includes an itemized detail of the materials which includes the equipment, chemicals and apparatus set-up. The procedure should be drafted in detail. Using a diagram for the procedure is a good way to explain the steps.
- The analysis should have the detailed results of the experiment. The researcher should be able to notify the changes or effects when the parameters are changed.
- Conclusion should be a brief realization of the experiment. It should be able to meet the goals and be able to interpret the results that were recorded.