How has Jem showed his maturity throughout the book To Kill a Mockingbird?
I have to give two details and i picked how he found out the truth and about Boo Radley's situation and his ability to have mature conversations with the adults.
Here are a few examples of how Jem showed his growing maturity in To Kill a Mockingbird.
- Jem returns alone to the Radley place in the middle of the night to retrieve his lost pants. He undertakes this dangerous mission so that Atticus will not find them himself because Jem wants to maintain Atticus' trust.
- Jem understands Miss Maudie's words about Atticus' humility concerning his marksmanship skills, and he declares that "Atticus is a gentleman, just like me!"
- Jem fulfills his reading obligation to Mrs. Dubose and then cries after he finds out that she has died.
- Jem stands up for Atticus at the jail when the lynch mob comes to take away Tom Robinson.
- Jem tells Atticus that Dill has run away from home, knowing that it is best for Dill and his worried parents and Aunt Rachel.
- Jem volunteers to walk Scout to the Halloween pageant when Atticus is too tired to do so himself.
- Jem defends Scout from the attack by Bob Ewell.
he understands life more