How to factorize (x-y)?

Asked on by raziahmad

5 Answers | Add Yours

sciencesolve's profile pic

sciencesolve | Teacher | (Level 3) Educator Emeritus

Posted on

Since the problem does not provide information regarding values of x and y, you can consider that x and y do not have common factors, hence, the given difference x - y cannot be furthermore factored.

If the problem provides the information that x is a divisor of y, hence, you may write y such that:

`y = k*x` , where k is constant

Replacing kx for y yields:

`x - y = x - kx`

You may factor out x, such that:

`x - kx = x(k - 1)`

If the problem provides the information that y is a divisor of x, hence, you may write x such that:

`x = k*y`

Replacing ky for x yields:

`x - y = ky - y`

You may factor out y, such that:

`ky - y = y(k - 1)`

Hence, the original given difference, cannot be factored, unless the problem specifies a relation between x and y.

raziahmad's profile pic

raziahmad | (Level 1) eNoter

Posted on

x-y = (√x)2 - (√y)2= (√x + √y)  (√x - √y)

Similary (x-y) = (√x)n - (√y)n can be factorized.

Any Comment Plz.

qwerty112358132134's profile pic

qwerty112358132134 | Student, Grade 9 | (Level 1) eNoter

Posted on

like what wonderwhitey said (x-y) can't be further factored. If you meant (x^2 - y^2) the answer is (x+y)(x-y).


We’ve answered 319,859 questions. We can answer yours, too.

Ask a question