How does Truman talk his audience into believing that Greece needs American support?
pohnpei397 | Certified Educator
Truman does this by laying out the reasons that Greece is in need of help. He argues that:
- Greece is in dire need of help in order to continue to exist.
- It lacks resources.
- It was devastated by WWII. Here, he adds statistics that are meant to draw sympathy, such as that 85% of Greek children after the war had Tuberculosis.
- It doesn't have enough money to import what it needs.
- It is under attack by terrorists led by communists.
- Britain can no longer afford to support Greece.
By laying out these conditions, Truman hopes to convince Americans that they need to give aid to Greece.