How does one become a professional psychologist?How does one become a professional psychologist?

5 Answers

litteacher8's profile pic

litteacher8 | High School Teacher | (Level 3) Distinguished Educator

Posted on

What kind of psychologist are you referring to? There are many different roles for psychologists. There are school psychologists, research psychologists and therapeutic psychologists. In each case, there is quite a bit of schooling and licensing involved. Before you choose a program, you need to determine where and with whom you'd like to work.
besure77's profile pic

besure77 | Middle School Teacher | (Level 1) Senior Educator

Posted on

These requirements will vary by state. Being a psychologist requires that you have a Masters Degree. Many schools offer programs that allow you to become certified once you complete the program. The best thing to do is discuss your options with your school guidance counselor.

lynn30k's profile pic

lynn30k | High School Teacher | (Level 1) Educator

Posted on

With different levels of education, you are qualified to do various jobs in psychology.  A Ph.D is what is usually thought of as enabling one to be a "professional psychologist", and would require 4 or more years of further study beyond a bachelor's degree.  With a Ph.D., one can do clinical, teaching, or research work in the field, and counsel patients having emotional/psychological difficulties.  With further training, some states now allow psychologists to prescribe medications.

coachshera's profile pic

coachshera | College Teacher | (Level 1) Adjunct Educator

Posted on

Depending upon your state requirements:

an MFT (Marriage/Family Therapist) degree qualifies you to take a state exam certifying you to a professional counselor or therapist (not psychologist). Normally, you will need up to 3000 hours of
intern practice prior to taking this exam and getting certified.

A Phd (dissertation) in counseling or an area of specialization in psychology along with passing other state exams, would qualify you as a professional psychologist.  

 You might want to look into various career options and requirements for counselors, therapists in your state, and also explore more what area of psychology or "para- psychology" appeals most to you.

angelalee3's profile pic

angelalee3 | Elementary School Teacher | (Level 1) Honors

Posted on

It depends on what you mean by a "professional psychologist." Technically, a four-year degree. If you mean "one who can counsel," you simply need a master's degree, not a Ph.D.