How does the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency protect against counterfeit goods and products entering the United States?
The United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency is one the organizations entrusted with securing Americas land and maritime borders. Part of these duties is ensuring that American companies and consumers are protected from prohibited, imitation and counterfeit products. In order to achieve this mandate the CBP has the mandate and authority to search almost all goods entering the country to make sure they comply with United States law. To combat counterfeiters the CPB uses tactics like:
1. Conducting sting operations and investigations
2. Using informants and whistle blowers within counterfeiting organizations
3. Cooperation and joint policing with domestic and foreign law enforcement
4. Search and seizure of suspected counterfeit goods at the nations ports and borders
5. Making sure all importers and exporters have the necessary licenses and documentation to conduct legal business