2 Answers | Add Yours
There a number of ways that you can make a paper mâché mask at home with normal household items. Here are directions for one of the easiest ways.
To make the mask you will need a balloon, an old newspaper, glue (see below), scissors, and items to decorate the mask.
1. Rip the newspaper into long strips that are approximately two inches wide.
2. In a bowl that is large enough to dip the newspaper strips in, prepare the glue by mixing 2 cups of flour with 1 cup of water or by mixing 2 parts white glue with 1 part water. Set aside.
3. Blow up the balloon to the size you want your mask to be.
4. Saturate a strip of newspaper with glue. Lay the strip vertically on the balloon. Repeat this step until the balloon is covered once. For the second layer, glue the strips horizontally around the balloon, and for the final layer lay the strips vertically around the balloon once again.
5. Allow the newspaper on the balloon to dry completely. This can take several hours or overnight.
6. Once the newspaper is completely dry, use a pin to pop a small hole in the balloon. Release the air slowly out of the balloon.
7. Use scissors to carefully cut the balloon cast in half vertically.
8. You are left with two mask forms that you can cut, paint, and decorate to your liking. Be sure to thoroughly dry paint and glued-on items before using or displaying the mask.
9. Have fun making your favorite literary characters.
An alternate way to make a form is to use a gallon milk jug cut in half or you can purchase pre-cut forms that you can cover with the paper mâché mixture.
using a mask template cover with paper towels so the papier mâché does not stick to it. to make the paste add water to flour and stir to a creamy consistency. Cut newspaper in strips of 1 inch by 6 inch. after dipping the paper strip in the paste pull the strip through your fingers so as to get rid of clumps and the majority of the paste. Cover the mask template with two to three coats of the pasted strips. Set this aside to dry. While waiting, research facial features you would like to add to your mask. Using newspaper and masking tape, create the features. when the papier mâché as dried, tape the facial features to the mask template and add two to three layers of pasted strips. Eyes of imitation jewelry, stones, etc. can be glued on. Use Acrylic paints and add colors that suite your mask. (If you don't have a mask template, this can be substituted with one half of a papier matched balloon.) enjoy and have fun.
We’ve answered 319,641 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question