Help please! "there is something rotten in Denmark" I have an essay to write I do not know where to begin for the intro and thesis. Need three examples.I just need some guidance and pointers. I am...
Help please! "there is something rotten in Denmark" I have an essay to write I do not know where to begin for the intro and thesis. Need three examples.
I just need some guidance and pointers. I am learning as an adult and find shakepeare not to be the easiest subject to learn. Thanks you for your help it is greatly appreciated!
Possible thesis statements:
1. Although Hamlet desires to avenge his father's death, he searches for the truth to make certain his Uncle Claudius is guilty.
If you choose the above thesis, you could write about Hamlet's procrastination of killing Claudius because he is not certain of Claudius' guilt.
2. Hamlet hesitates in killing Claudius because he is not certain of Claudius' guilt in killing King Hamlet.
3. Hamlet who is young and emotionally unstable should not attempt to avenge his father's death based on what a ghost has to say.
4. Although Hamlet is indecisive about killing Claudius, ultimately he gets his revenge when he forces Claudius to drink the poison meant for himself.
5. When Hamlet feels certain that Claudius is guilty of murdering his father, he suffers through a time of questioning whether or not to follow through with his revenge.
In Shakespeare's Hamlet, the young prince of Denmark faces a dilemma. He is torn between acting on his desire to kill Claudius or suffer the torment of doing nothing. Hamlet feels an obligation to avenge his father's death, but at first he is not certain that Claudius murdered his father. Hamlet is tormented with the idea that Claudius possibly murdered his father. He plans a reenactment of his father's murder as a test to see if Claudius is indeed guilty of his father's death. When Hamlet feels certain that Claudius is guilty of murdering his father, he suffers through a time of questioning whether or not to follow through with his revenge.
I hope this helps!
I added enotes sites for your study on Hamlet.
Okay, Hamlet is a pretty big task to accomplish if you haven't even begun.
I would begin by looking at each of the quotations specifically and you have to break them down and try to figure out what each really means. For instance, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" really refers to both the idea that the ghost is a pretty ominous men for Denmark AND it also refers to the even bigger theme that there is a connection between the moral legitimacy of a ruler and the overall health of the state as a whole.
I would really read over each quotation and ask yourself what is being said. The major conflict in this play is that Hamlet feels a responsibility to avenge his father's murder by his Uncle Claudius. However, Claudius has now become the king and is protected by others. Hamlet struggles here with two things- whether or not he can trut the ghost and whether or not he should kill Claudius. Is it the right thing for him to do?
I included a link to a Hamlet tudy Guide that I thought might help yu put the pieces together. Shakespeare is harder to piece together until you get the hang of it. Good Luck!