Can you please help me write a letter based on the following information about Of Mice and Men? Thank you very much! Lennie's body has been found. The police report indicates that he has been...
Can you please help me write a letter based on the following information about Of Mice and Men? Thank you very much!
Lennie's body has been found. The police report indicates that he has been shot and murdered by his best friend George. For this assignment i would like you to pretend that you are George. You have been charged with Lennie's murder and have been asked to submit your account of happened and give some indication of your reasons in order to gain some leniency from the judge and police. You must submit an argument in the form of letter, explaining your reasons for killing Lennie, your relationship with Lennie, your emotional state of mind at the time of the killing, and whether or not you feel you should be punished for your crime.
I think you can write an effective and well organized letter by rearranging the order of the list of things you are supposed to include. I would suggest this order:
1. Explain your relationship to Lennie, how you are best friends and travel together, how Lennie was really your only family, and how and why you felt responsible for taking care of him.
2. Explain the situation that led to your desperate action. Go to the book for plot details: Curley's hatred for Lennie, the death of Curley's wife, the group of ranch hands who were hunting Lennie down, and Curley's intention to shoot Lennie in the stomach so that he would die in agony.
3. Explain your state of mind, knowing how Lennie is going to die soon and knowing there is no way to escape or to save him.
4. Explain exactly how you killed him. It is well detailed in the end of the novel. And explain why you killed him in this manner.
5. Whether or not you feel you (George) should be punished is up to you (you!). Do you think George should be punished? Was he right to try to save his friend from suffering? This is up to you to decide as you end your letter.
I'm sending you some enotes links to study guides over the novel. They should be of great help to you as you review the book. Good luck.