If I graduate with a double major in Anthropogy and Comparative Religious Studies, what subjects could I teach at the secondary level?

Expert Answers
jessecreations eNotes educator| Certified Educator

The answer to your question depends on the state/district where you want to teach, and the school as well.  I teach in Florida, and here you can pursue alternate paths to teaching by taking a test in the subject area you want to teach, and also taking some education courses.  Often, you can take the education courses while you teach, if you have already passed the subject-area test.  This is true in other states as well, I'm sure, but you would have to check with your state's certification department.

For your major areas, you might be able to take and pass a subject-area test in history or sociology.  Some parochial schools also offer religion courses, so you may be eligible to teach those as well.  Most public high schools do not offer specific courses in your major areas, but you might be able to transfer your subject-area skills into similar areas.

drgingerbear eNotes educator| Certified Educator

The answer depends on many criteria:

1. The teacher certification requirements for your state

2. Degree level (BS, M.Ed, Ph.D)

3. Other degrees or experience


With the No Child Left Behind Act od 2001, all teachers must be "Highly Qualified". It is up to the individual states to determine what "highly qualified" means.

Your first step is to research the teaching qualifications for certification in your state. (key words: teacher certification in XXXXXX state). If you still have questions, you can call the teacher certification dept in your state and they can help you determine the necessary "highly qualified" proficiency tests for certification.