There are many changes that can be made to a home to make it more energy efficient. I have listed the 7 most innovative ideas below:
- Plant trees on your property to provide shade and block out the sun. This will affect the temperature in the home and can decrease the time that an air conditioner needs to be used.
- Use cold water to wash your clothes and pre-wash dishes. Using cold water will reduce the usage on your hot water tank. There are many detergents that are used for cold water washing and will not affect your clothing.
- Collect rain water to reduce the water you use from the city or hydro company. Rain water can be used to water plants, wash cars, or any number of cleaning tasks.
- Install a programmable thermostat to allow for different temperatures at various times. Programmable thermostats can be programmed to change during the time of day or week. Also, many of them connect to a smart phone which allows you to change your temperature from anywhere. This can reduce times where the temperature is set too high or too low in the home.
- Consider environmentally friendly products for flooring, paint, or any indoor upgrades. This can impact the effect we have on the environment while keeping your home green and energy efficient.
- Repair dripping faucets immediately. Every extra drop of water from a leak is another wasted drop.
- Consider installing solar panels, or solar panel shingles. This will contribute to the home’s energy consumption and costs.