General Electric was composed of one hundred business, before Jack Welch became the CEO.
When became the CEO he streamlined the organization by selling business and acquired new ones. He recreated the organization and made it a profitable firm in the world. Thus Jack Welch became the greatest Transformational leader in the world. What makes Transformational leader so? (250 Words)
2 Answers | Add Yours
If anyone really KNEW what makes a transformational leader, there would probably be more of them. According to the link I'm posting, there were 95,000 books on leadership listed on Amazon in 2004. That tells you that there are a lot of different ideas out there about the issue.
Here's one view of four necessary attributes:
- Leaders have to be role models for their subordinates. This can involve having charisma.
- Leaders must be able to motivate their employees in innovative ways.
- Leaders encourage their employees to learn continuously.
- Leaders are able to connect on a personal level with employees from every level of their organization.
If you look at this list, it seems that you could argue that transformational leaders are people who have the right personalities and that they can therefore not be "made" but must be "born."
The concept of transformational leadership was first introduced in 1978 by James McGregor Burns. It is kind of leadership that creates desirable changes in followers. The changes lead to followers helping and supporting each other in the process of achieving the goals of organization.
Burns differentiated transformational leadership from another type of leadership he called transactional leadership, which is not based on give and take relationship between the followers. Transactional leadership is based on leaders personality, traits, and abilities to make changes using personal visions and goals.
Transformational leadership is based on four elements of leadership as described below.
- Individualized consideration: The degree to which the leader is able to appreciate needs and traits of each follower and act as mentor and coach to them.
- Intellectual simulation: The ability to challenge existing ideas and assumptions and to develop creativity among followers.
- Inspirational Motivation:Ability to articulate vision and to motivate followers towards achieving it that leads to higher standards of performance and more optimistic attitudes.
- Idealized influence: Ability to provide vision and sense of mission and instill pride. Also ability to gain trust and respect of followers.
We’ve answered 319,180 questions. We can answer yours, too.Ask a question